Running this race was not only a physical challenge, but it was a mental one too. To run the distance I have to get out of my own head - which is not easy to do. I am my own worst enemy for believing in my self. Today there were no head games, but I also didn't have time to tell myself I couldn't do it because I was too busy saying we wouldn't make it....
Apparently they close the canyon, so we had to get to the start line via North Ogden pass, and neither of us knew how to get to it. Stupid Siri was. I help, and the car GPS wanted us to turn around and go up the closed canyon. Obviously we made it, with 3 minutes to spare. 2 minutes to race was while I was waiting for the oh so lovely porta-John, and the starting line was moving as I opened up the John door. Oh, and Jyllian, who as of late and for some unknown reason, puked up her milk while we were driving - poor Denin!
The course was beautiful, and it was a beautiful morning, it was just me and my thoughts out there. I have a mind that does not shut off. So for almost 3 hours I thought about all of this:
- What is with the guy running barefoot, and holding his shoes? Do you know what my feet would look like if I ran barefoot for 13 miles?
- What is with the guy wearing pink shoes, denim shorts, pink shirt, denim vest, and pink sweat headband?
- Allison told me the hill at the start was little, you wouldn't notice it was a hill if you were driving - granted it was no mountain, but she was crazy. I walked it - I wasn't going to let that hill ruin my race!
- The water/powerade stops are awesome. 2 rounds of powerade were too sweet - stick with water.
- I thought a lot about this post - I forgot a lot of it. I'm also much more clever In my head.
- There are a lot of girls wearing hoochie shorts - running with my butt nearly hanging out is not a risk I would want to take.
- The sign, that said something like shoe sale ahead made me laugh.
- I should have made me a shirt with my vinyl machine....
- My own mental mantra was - you've got this.
- Runners come in all shapes and sizes. It really doesn't matter what size you are, it's endurance that matters.
- My mom told me, "maybe you're not built like a runner.". I decided anyone can become a runner, your body changes into one with training - I will get there. I'm tired of this body....
- The marathon runners are amazing! The first one came through as I getting out of the canyon, around 2 hours. Holy cow - he was fast!
- I should have worn a tutu or a tiara - something to make it interesting.
- One of the stops had a sign that said, "you're tutu close to stop now," and the volunteers were wearing tutu's, hence the above thought.
- Please don't start hurting. Please don't start hurting. Please don't start hurting. I chanted this many times about my stomach and my foot.
- I got a little emotional coming out of the canyon, I was on the home stretch!
- I remembered how miserable I was running cross country in high school. I would seriously cry during races and at the end I felt like I could puke every race. I was usually last too. I hated it. 15 plus years I'm back at it, and there was none of that. I'm grateful for the invention of iPods and IPhones!
{out of the canyon and 10 miles down. I got to see my family cheering me on!}
{Almost to the finish line!}
{Phew - all done! Still standing too!}
{A few of my supporters!}





No comments:
Post a Comment